SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

More sheer Roman shades

Another very striking sheer stripe has been turned into Roman shades. 

The success of a sheer shade is all about how well-behaved the fabric is by nature.  This one folded up beautifully- it was a good choice.

The weight bar was covered in fabric tubing before being inserted into its pocket.

Again we used the cord loop shroud and it is nearly unnoticeable.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Fab Fabric Friday, and a Gathered London

This is exquisite fabric: silk, with embroidery over applique.

Each flower and leaf is gorgeous.

It became interlined draperies and a gathered London shade.

It's one of the most beautiful embroidered silks I've ever worked with.

You're thinking, what a lazy post!

Yes, I agree.  I've got so many photos of recent projects, and not enough time to get them posted.  I'll try to catch up soon.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Shirred valance with header

This has always been a favorite treatment of mine.

Besides this 45" valance, there were two at 100".   The fabric is bulky, and the valance interlined, so the fullness is only a little more than double.

Flat 3/8" bias cordless welting (or flange) trimmed the bottom.

A separate header- a 1x4- was interlined and welted at the bottom.

The welting is made with fusible web, to prevent buckling or stretching.

The welting was applied to the bottom of the header with adhesive tape, again to prevent unevenness and buckling.


The valance was shirred and stapled and the dustboard covered, then the header was secured to the valance, and it was done!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Mock Roman Valance

The client wanted a mock roman valance.  Usually this means evenly spaced folds of equal size, but she had in mind something that looked more like a roman shade actually pulled up............ like this:


These valances go over the sheer shades that were bound in the same orange upholstery fabric.

This is a variation on a flat-back hobbled roman. 

This treatment took some rumination and experimentation.  I like how it turned out, and I like the clean back.  Next time I know how to make it without the horizontal stitching lines showing.