THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gillette Castle



I have been very irresponsible this week- I have not taken a single picture of any work I've been doing.  

So I've pulled out some pictures of a trip to Gillette Castle State Park in East Haddam, CT, on the serene and majestic Connecticut River.

This is one of my favorite places. The vision that gave birth to this crazy, fabulous place awes me, and inspires me to keep my eye on my own vision.  It also humbles me- it is the quality of the workmanship that gives substance to the dream.  This place makes me want to go home and to my studio and do my best.  At everything. 

If you cherish fine craftsmanship, you'll be in total awe of what you find here.

Click on the link above and read all about it.  If you're ever in south central Connecticut, I urge you to swing by here and have a little visit.  The tour is only $5, and admission to the park grounds is free.

I'm going to let Wikipedia tell you about Gillette Castle; I will say, however, that every single thing in this amazing castle has been hand-made, from the fabulous doors with their crazy lock systems, to the textiles, the glass, carpets, furniture, everything.  Every piece of lumber, every stone, was hand-hewn.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to add some captions, but in the meantime, I'll leave you with these photos which were taken with my iphone in very dim light.  Sorry they're not any better than they are.  I hope they give you some sense of how wonderful this place is.



  







No comments:

Post a Comment