Friday, August 3, 2012
Adhesives of any type were inappropriate for the wool- whether tape or liquid. White glue just stiffened up- it felt like cardboard. Double-sided tape that did not need steaming showed a shadow, and also made the wool pucker. And for fear of shrinking the wool I did not want to use a tape that required steaming. And machine sewing distorted the wool.
So out came the John James needles and my favorite Coats & Clark Dual Duty Button and Carpet thread (also the favorite of Alabama Chanin for hand-sewing!), and a pleasant day with my friend Camille ensued as we hand-sewed ribbon in a U-shape around 6 shades. We each did 3, and there was a serious learning curve. My first shade took nearly 2 hours, the second one 1 1/2 hours, and the last one maybe an hour and a quarter. Yes, I got faster, but I bet if I measured the stitches, I'd find that they got a little longer with each shade........