Ever since returning from vacation, I have been swamped with very intense production deadlines. It's hard to remember to take photos when working so hard, but I do have some, and a few stories to tell.
Here's one of them.
"Extreme blackout" is what I call this homeowner's request for her bedrooms. We created three-layer treatments that came as close as one could get to total blackout, without fully covering the windows with draperies, which she did not want.
We installed phase one of her renovated home on July 31, the family moved in on August 1, and on August 4 their baby boy was born. He came home the next day to his own very, very dark bedroom.
Here's what you see by daylight:
|More on the toppers in a future post- meanwhile, thanks to Joanna Braxton for her instructional DVD on making these sleek cornices....|
Now, you might be wondering, where are the pinholes of light that are the inherent drawback to blackout shades, the thorn in the side for shade fabricators, and the bane of our existence?
Yeah, we solved that problem.
A double-sided shade with multiple layers of linings made it possible. Here's what the back looks like (this photo is of a similar shade in another room.) These are serious shades, folks, more like furniture than curtains!
Before going into detail, I want to acknowledge that my train of thought about those pesky pinholes of light began during an enlightening webinar by Susan Woodcock (Home Dec Gal) which I attended in the spring. She developed her own clever way of dealing with the pinholes, which over a couple of months percolated through my brain and evolved into this method for this particular job.
First we made the shade using three layers of lining. Next to the face, Bella Notte Silky Blackout. Then interlining, and finally regular cotton sateen.