Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.
SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??
Thursday, October 25, 2012
Some projects seem jinxed. Here is one of them: a bedding package consisting of two duvet covers and three 26x26 boxed pillows. Fate contrived to thwart the project, but we prevailed!
First, the blue duvet cover went seriously awry when I cut into the center width with the serger........ which, in a workroom, qualifies as "The Unthinkable." I cut off the offending section and pieced in two rows of contrast fabric, bordered by microcord. (I didn't think to take a picture until it was packaged and about to walk out the door. )
Turns out that the pillow fabric was also discontinued, and the vendor sent the last bit they had, but at just over a yard it was not enough to make the three fronts of the 26" pillows. They rummaged through the showroom and found the memo sample which was just 25" square, so I added a border all around to get to the right size. There were just enough scraps to make the boxing.
With all the raw edges from all that piecing and boxing, every seam was serged to eliminate the raveling threads.
Finally, the second duvet cover was too narrow because the supposedly 54" fabric
had only 52" of useable print. I added a 2" band of the backing
fabric. The delicious Vervain silk is lined with napped sateen, making
the cover soft and supple.
Between the seams the tiniest microcord is inserted. A scrap of fine ivory taffeta from a previous project matched the background perfectly.
The duvet from Rowley came with snap tabs to keep it in place. You sew the mate into the cover's seams, then lay the duvet cover wrong side out, place the duvet on it and snap the tabs together, then turn it all to the right side. So much easier than trying to climb inside to fasten the snaps!