THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Monday, August 26, 2013

Corner shade in one piece

I'm a little hesitant to post these pictures, because they show a product in a state that is definitely not ready for prime time.  This valance needs a lot more work and dressing on-site, but I won't be there, so these are the only pictures I'll ever have.  But I thought the corner concept was important enough to talk about that I'm going to go ahead and show this treatment in less than ideal conditions.

Regarding function: I wasn't sure this would work, but it did!  I wasn't sure that lift cords could go around a corner and still work properly, but I was reassured by some folks on the CHF forum who have done something similar, so I took the plunge.
Regarding style: The client wanted a one-piece relaxed roman valance for her corner, and the designer wanted it to be adjustable with a cord lock.  We made it two folds longer than the eventual finished length- here it is before drawing it up.  I know the sections look like they're different sizes, but they aren't- it's just the angle and my little camera not getting along.  The two swoops on the long side really are the same size, except the one on the end has a return.
***8/25/13: The valance was installed this morning, and the very talented installer dressed it to everyone's satisfaction, except that the homeowner wants the long side to be apportioned differently- so it's coming back to the workroom, and we'll move the long side's center lift line to the left so it will be in the middle of the window.  She realizes the swoops will be different sizes, but prefers it that way.  No problem here!***  
The wood was cut at right angles and hinged.
The corner rings lead the lift cord to a screw eye just barely to the long side.
On top, the hinge is nearly completely covered.  You can see how I lop off a bit of the back corner, because the bulk of the fabrics covering the boards would prevent them from meeting properly.
When it was finished, the short side folded up neatly over the long side.
We used our Workroom Valet to hold the short side of the shade.

Orbs on the short side will allow the installer to level the shade once it's in the window, if it is a little off.  Because the lift cords cover a big distance, and one has to go around a corner, the tension is hard to get right.  Sometimes they need a little adjustment on-site.  Also we were not 100% positive that the boards were at perfect right angles, or that the height of each side was totally identical.  And, that is why some smart person invented those orbs!
We pulled it up, and saw immediately that this valance was going to take some fussing over on installation day.  I decided to take this picture without dressing the valance.  Remember, this is just a valance, not an operable shade.  Once it's set and dressed, it will never move again.  It clearly needs a lot of dressing!
If I were going to do this again as an operable shade, I would suggest a different style than plain relaxed.   I think I'd like it better with very small, shallow pleats at each lift line, to create a slightly fuller droop that can be more flexible in dressing.  I'm also toying in my mind with the idea of set-in pleats, like a London; and the corner would be the tail for both sides.  I don't know if that would really work.
I'm just glad we learned about the one-piece corner on a valance that can be dressed, rather than a full shade.  
YES, THIS NEEDS DRESSING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment