THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Aprons!

I totally can't believe that I never posted pictures of the aprons I made for my friend Camille's two twenty-something daughters.  I've been trolling my photo album, pulling pictures for my PowerPoint presentation, and here were these aprons that I forgot to ever show off.
I had so much fun, slicing and appliqueing and topstitching.  And when I found the red twill tape at Joann Fabrics, I was overjoyed!

Emily is into goats.  Yeah, goats, and no one knows why, but, it makes it easy to create a themed gift for her!  With the help of Spoonflower, I found plenty of goat fabrics to make this fully reversible apron.
Claire studied Russian, lived in practically Siberia, and earned a Fullbright scholarship to Armenia, so I used this Spoonflower print of a popular Russian fairytale for the front of her apron.
I made these completely spontaneously.  Nothing was pre-planned; I just kept adding details until they felt done.  I had the most fun with the yokes. 
I got to incorporate some vintage trims that I've hoarded for decades.
I had a fat quarter of a matryoshka print to make some yoke banding and a pocket.  There's a strip of another cherished vintage trim on Claire's.
I cut out Armenia from a map fabric to use as a pocket for Claire's.
There were just enough scraps of Emily's Three Billy Goats Gruff fabric to make a pocket.
 I love ric-rac, and I love red.  What can I say.
Skinny slices of a few prints made ribbon-like borders.

And I love topstitching.  Especially red topstitching.
Yes, someday there will be an apron for Camille, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment