THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Friday, February 12, 2010

A Dream-Catcher

What is this pocketbook doing here?...........
I know that I am supposed to be writing about "what are we working on today?"..... but, hey, this has NOT been a great week for completing photogenic work.
We had a storm, which ate up a whole day; I did spend it viewing webinars about work, but that's nothing you want to read about.
One whole day was a trip to the city, and another whole day was spent just driving and running errands.
We did manage to sew those lovely rose Kingston valances, a tableskirt, an ottoman slipcover; we altered some shades, wrote up a bunch of orders, prepped some fabric to be hand-sewn, and prepared an encouraging bunch of estimates (yay).  We went to Home Depot.  The rose valances were installed and the decorator loved them.  We ordered supplies, paid some bills, vacuumed, and did some picking up and dropping off.
Yeah, we've been very busy, but there are no pictures to show for it.  Sometimes that is what a custom window treatment business is like for a few days. 
So I wanted to show you something wonderful- something that epitomizes the kind of meandering, longing imagination that seizes me as the weekend approaches- something that symbolizes the kind of fantastic project I am working on in my mind!- a dream-catcher you might call it- and there it is, a pocketbook that I got from the Stormville Flea Market in Dutchess County, New York.
I say I got it, but actually I didn't buy it.  My sister did.  I was so envious!  She saw it first, so she had first dibs, and she bought it.
Imagine my joyous surprise when it turned out to be my Christmas present!
I wish we had gotten the name of the young woman who made it.  She had a lot of very cool re-purposed items like this which she had embellished, but she did not have a card, and I have no idea who she was or where she came from.
So now it's late enough on Friday that I really don't see myself doing anything useful here at the studio, yet early enough on Friday that I can leave and enjoy the most lovely winter afternoon outdoors- and I think that's exactly what I'll do, meander a bit with my mind full of that fanciful pocketbook carrying all my re-purposing and embellishing dreams.

2 comments:

  1. ooooh, that's pretty ! I spent most of the week cleaning and organizing the workroom. Yes, it was that bad !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that bag Deb and I love your post!! It is amazing how many non-fabricating jobs are involved that we must also devote our attention to. And "dream-catching" is also required, so that we are always on top of our "creative genius" for our customers!

    ReplyDelete