THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Top Down Bottom Up (TDBU) shades

A friend of mine wanted shades in her library, shades that could be both raised in the normal way, and lowered from the top down.  She had EXACTLY to-the-thread enough of a warm wheat-colored woven fabric with little flowers that look like stars.  There wasn't even enough to hem the sides- a scrap of golden silk became a narrow banding/binding for the sides.  In her "stash" we found an embroidered faux-silk to make the valances that hide the mechanisms.  The lining is a khaki napped cotton sateen that enhances the golden glow when the sun comes through.
Though we've made these shades before, it had been awhile, and I spent a long time reading up and remembering how to proceed.  My brain totally froze on the subject of cord locks- I just could not visualize whether or not they would work on this style.  Thanks to my colleagues and the Drapery and Design Pro Network Forum, I got through it!
I also must acknowledge my gratitude to Terrell Designs- a wonderful shade maker in Colorado who makes art quilts into window shades, and has incredibly detailed DIY instructions on her website.  I used her instructions as a reference throughout the process.
Installing the shades was a challenge!  Though I make window treatments day in and day out, I do NOT install them myself except under circumstances like this- friends or family.  My very patient husband came along to "oversee" the process.  Luckily my friend's 3 cats convened in the library with us to keep us in line.  It took a very long time.
After we finished, we went upstairs to look at a very wonderful collection which is the subject of the following post- keep reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment