THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Monday, November 15, 2010

A Collaboration

This valance was a joint effort, for another workroom.  They created the wood frame, and we did the sewing & mounting.
The client wanted the illusion of an arched window and provided a template of the silhouette they wanted.

The wrong (gold) side of the fabric was used to create contrast inserts for the pleats, and the welt at top.  This fabric is actually two separate layers that are connected at the pattern only.  That's the second fabric I've had in the past two weeks that is made this way.

Planning the layout took as much time as fabricating.  After cutting and seaming all the sections, the unshaped valance is laid out & pressed.

Blackout lining was sandwiched between the face and the lining, to prevent any variation in color when the light shines through.  Rather than risk putting holes in the blackout that would allow light bleed, the hem was sewn by hand through the lining only.  Really, by the time you figure out how to do it then transfer it all to the sewing machine then turning right side out and ironing, it's faster to just whip up the hem by hand.
And then you have a nice flat piece that lays true and doesn't twist or warp.

Then the pleats were formed, the layers secured, and the frame laid out for cutting the shape of the top.
All that's left is to staple, make and apply welting, and cover the board.
To eliminate bulk and unevenness at the top line, I padded the spaces between the pleats with layers of fabric, lining, and blackout to equal the layers in the pleat sections.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debra; I enjoyed your post! I found you through my own 'stats' page from my blog and wanted to thank you for listing me there! I have become your latest follower ;) (When you get a chance, could you correct the name of my business to "Michelle Jamieson Interiors"?) Thank you SO SO much!

    Michelle
    www.jamiesoninteriors.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle!
    I found your blog through the CHF Forum.
    The list of blogs on the Workroom Friends page are just the links which I copied and pasted - I'll have to figure out how to edit them.
    Thanks for reading, I enjoy your blog as well-
    d

    ReplyDelete