THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Drafting Scallops: "And all you got to do to join....."



There's been a run on scallops.  That is, I've done my second scallop project in a month.  Normally scallop projects are years between.  In July it was the lavender scalloped drapery lead edge, for August it was a scalloped bottom for a Roman shade.



 If I have to draft a third scallop job in September, I'll start to wonder if I missed the memo from the Organization of Scalloped Edgers.  And if fifty folks come in and order scallops, I'll believe that it's a movement.  And all you got to do to join, is start drafting those scallops- thank you Arlo! 

Drafting scallops: stuff I learned from my momma.
She didn't teach me to draft scallops, per se, but she taught me how to use a grid and points and lines; compasses and squares and straightedges.  I was a very little girl.  I kept her company when she made posters for church or school events, and she explained every step of her process.  My mom could make anything.

For these scallops, I drew parallel lines, thinking I wanted a 2" short point, but once I had the lines I knew I really wanted a 1.5" short point.

I refined the lines til I had something I liked.

I folded the template to get a mirror image, (you can see your lines through the paper if you use a black Sharpie), cut it in half,

then flipped it, made sure the scallop shape was the same upside down as right side up.

The shade was fully made before the scallop was cut and sewn.  Actually I should say, sewn then cut.  I love my purple pens- I draw all over the backs of shades- but the purple kept disappearing from the blackout lining so I had to draw in pencil.  The weight bar pocket was sewn into the facing, then the facing sewn to the uncut scallop.  The seam allowance was trimmed, clipped, and notched, turned to the right side, and one stitching line attaches the facing to the shade, at the point where the bottom rings will be attached.    

Cute green trim applied:


The shade was strung with mesh tube shroud, cord idler pulleys, and a cord lock.  Sorry no picture of it on the stand.   

No comments:

Post a Comment