THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Achilles heel

Any idea how hard these are to make???  An inset flange, mitered in the corners, front and back.  I could've made three Roman shades in the time it took me to make these two pillows!!!

They turned out well..... eventually!

I have no idea why, but this style just gets me every time.  I need an expert to sit down and do a dozen of these in a row with me so I don't have to re-learn the method with each order.

5 comments:

  1. You are right, they are hard but they look amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how hard they are and you did a brilliant job......
    As always exceptional work Debra!
    I love the use of the stripes. Clever.

    I adore making cushions could do it all day everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks you guys.
    This was a weird fabric. It was 54" wide, but the stripes were not evenly balanced across the width, so I couldn't get the stripe on the flange to go up & down because there wasn't enough. That's why it runs the way it does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been enjoying looking at your Blog. Thanks for your effort in taking the time to do it. I used to find it hard and frustrating to make mitered flange pillow and shams. typically I had a hard time getting it all to come together. I knew there had to be a better way. and there is. What I do is carefully make the flange up first. When I sew the mitered corners I stop sewing the miter at the point where it will be inserted between the front and back. I make sure to cut a center notch in the seam allowance on each side of the flange. Next, I sew the piping to the flange. Now, I verify the actual size of the flange to determine how big to cut the fronts and back taking seam allowances into consideration. and I cut the fronts and backs to fit the already meade up flanges. I center notch the fronts and backs in the seam allowances as well. I now machine sew on the fronts and backs stopping just shy of the corners. ( too hard to sew perfectly up in the turn of the corner) I finish the corners after turning the covers right sides out by hand tacking the corners closed. It may take a few minutes to do this, but you will find the rest will go rather smoothly. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan, thanks so much for detailing your method. Since I wrote this post, I have since made this style using a similar method, sort of winging it, but your instructions are so clear and I'm happy to know I can refer back to them next time I make this style. Thanks for reading the blog and your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete