THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Venetian Bedroom, circa 1718

I love visiting the Metropolitan Museum in NYC, and since I became a member, it's great being able to just run in for an hour when I'm in the area.   No matter what I intend to see, however, I usually find myself migrating towards textiles.  Recently I enjoyed wandering through some period rooms and was especially impressed by this bedroom, a la Palazzo Sagredo, Venice, circa 1718.
The bed and its furnishings is a total show-stopper.  The green silk damask is everywhere in the room: walls, ceiling, windows, and door.
 
On the walls, a coordinating shaped border pattern is layered over the damask as a sort of mock valance, trimmed in gold.  But it was the skinny cartridge pleats on the portiere that really caught my eye.  I keep thinking about them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up in something I make, sometime soon.
I peered in as close as I could to try to figure out where the fabric was seamed.  Oddly, the pattern wasn't even matched when the lengths were joined.  I've seen that non-match in other 18th century window furnishings as well.  
There are two windows in this room, and they're each treated differently.  The far window was pretty hard to see; there are very narrow panels and a shirred skirt under a carved header.
Due to the light glare the near window is hard to make out; an ondule shaped valance in two fabrics, trimmed  with braid and fringe, tops what seem to be functional panels. 
What can I say about the canopy?- over-the-top seems like an understatement.  The damask is pleated, draped, and swagged in weird, stiff shapes all around the myriad hovering carved figures.

1 comment: