THE BLOG IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMMENTS! SOMETIMES THEY DON’T GET PUBLISHED, AND WHEN THEY ARE I AM UNABLE TO REPLY TO THEM. IF THAT HAPPENS, JUST EMAIL ME AT stitchlore@gmail.com.

Looking for something specific? Check out the Topic Index, or the Search bar, just below, on the left.



Sorry about this problem!

SO.........WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON TODAY??

Saturday, January 16, 2010

What goes around comes around.....

.....or, making a round tableskirt with shirred jumbo welt.
I took a lot of pictures thinking I'd sort of practice writing a tutorial.  But that turned out to be really tedious!.... blogs are just not the place for that.  It would take forever just to get the pictures where I want them.  (If ever)


So here are a few pictures of the process.



I always cut welting strips using a rotary cutter and mat.  That's because I taught myself pillow-making right around when I was doing strip-piece quilting.  I transferred techniques I learned in the quiltmaking process to my custom pillow business, which was my breaking-in to becoming a custom window treatment workroom.  I think I made probably 5 or 6 thousand pillows in those 10 years..... not to mention a couple thousand boxed and welted cushions.... and that was my part-time job!..... I had to get good at it, and fast.
The fabric is shirred up on the jumbo cording 12" at a time.  It's fun to do.  For this tableskirt I need 9 yards of finished cording, so I cut about 24 yards of 5"-wide bias fabric strip and  I wound up using every inch of it.
And that is just about all I'm going to say today about shirred jumbo welting!

2 comments:

  1. 5 or 6 thousand pillows !!!!! That is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously. I figured it out once. To this day I dread making even a single pillow, but once I start doing it it's okay.

    ReplyDelete